Spaces to SPACES: A Progressive Housewarming
SPACES is accepting proposals for artworks that will unveil the parts of our new building that audience members normally won’t see, during the grand opening on 1/14/17. We are seeking installations and performances that offer moments of discovery in the unexpected places throughout the Van Rooy Coffee Building’s ground floor. Meticulously curated in some areas and controlled chaos in others, this celebration will manifest as the evolving artistic concerns that have shaped SPACES throughout the years.
We ask that all artworks and performance proposals activate the site and address some or all of the following:
- SPACES past, present, and/or future
- Your personal SPACES story
- The history and/or physical structure of the new SPACES building
- The past, present, and/or future of SPACES’ new neighborhood context
Artworks must be installed or performed in the non-gallery areas of the new SPACES and may take advantage of the tools and resources on-site. This includes: 800 sq. ft classroom; m/f/unisex bathrooms; art production areas; artist lounge; closets; The Vault screening room; employee office spaces, such as desk tops and drawers, shelving, phones, etc.; kitchen and its contents; windows; and building facade (projections only).
- Artists will receive 2 general admission tickets to the grand opening on 1/14/17.
- Artists will have access to SPACES tools and resources, as well as a modest stipend for the creation of new work. In some cases, artists may need to supply their own technology.
- Artists may install their work during normal business hours, beginning 1/7/17.
- All artworks must be collected after the event, no later than 1/20/17.
Please submit as a single .pdf your current CV + up to a 500-word proposal, including a specific installation plan related to the SPACES floor plan (accessible here) + schematic sketch. Up to 5 images of relevant existing work may be submitted as separate .jpgs. Email applications, with the subject line “SPACES Grand Opening,” to: submissions@SPACESgallery.org. Artworks will be selected by artist Corrie Slawson and SPACES Executive Director Christina Vassallo.
DEADLINE & NOTIFICATION
Open Call Deadline: 11/14/16
Artists Notified by: 12/1/16